Access is shipping NetFront Mobile Client Suite, a multimedia-enabled application stack for handset manufacturers that runs on Linux and other embedded operating systems. The suite features a Web browser, multimedia messaging client, personal information manager (PIM), SyncML client, SMIL player, and Java support. It also features a customizable user interface architecture, according to Access.
NetFront Mobile Client Suite is OS-independent, and offers easy porting to practically any embedded mobile platform, Access claims, inluding Agere, Broadcom, EMP, Infineon, SH-Mobile, TTPCom and others. It supports operating systems including Linux, Symbian, Palm, Windows Mobile, and BREW.
NetFront Mobile Client Suite comprises:
- Customizable User Interface supports “any branded environment.”
- NetFront Browser, which Access claims to be the most widely deployed and actively used embedded browser in the world, with deployments in over 267 Internet devices and 100 million global unit deployments
- NetFront Message Client email client:
- MMS: Compliant with 3GPP TS 23.140 and MMS conformance v1.2
- M-IMAP: Based on IMAP4/SMTP (RFC 2060)
- SMTP/POP: Support Mail Transfer Protocol/Post Office Protocol v3
- NetFront SMIL Player: plays back text, image, sound, moving images, animation, and various video file types. Complies with 3GPP SMIL and W3C SMIL Basic.
- NetFront PIM: Includes address book, calendar, scheduler, to-do list, and memo pad.
- NetFront SVG Viewer: Complies with the W3C recommendation for SVG Tiny. Optimized to render SVG content on small screens and includes various levels of zoom.
- NetFront SyncML: A client library that complies with OMA SyncML v1.1.1. SyncML DS for data synchronization and SyncML DM (under development) are also supported.
- Java support: JV-Lite2 Wireless Edition (MIDP, JTWI, Doja), is a SUN Microsystems authorized Java execution environment for embedded applications. Includes JAM, a Java Application Manager that is fully integrated with the NetFront browser.
In addition, Netfront Mobile Client Suite provides optional middleware components for AVE-File (File system), IrFront (IrDA solution), AVE-Blue (Bluetooth stack), AVE-USB (USB Host/Client, OTG), and 802.11x WLAN Driver.
“NetFront Mobile Client Suite offers the most comprehensive package of advanced mobile technologies in the market — it is truly a powerful global solution,” claims Access CEO Toru Arakawa.
This article was originally published on LinuxDevices and has been donated to the open source community by QuinStreet Inc. Please visit LinuxToday.com for up-to-date news and articles about Linux and open source.