Enhance Technology announced an eight-disk, Linux-based network-attached storage (NAS) device, offering up to 16TB of SATA storage. The UltraShare NAS8000-P4 incorporates an Intel Xeon (Nehalem) CPU clocked at 2.0GHz, four gigabit Ethernet ports, and an optional gateway for expanding to up to 176TB.
The UltraShare NAS8000 is aimed at data-intensive applications such as file sharing, fast FTP access (for an ISP), and video archive and retrieval for IP surveillance cameras, says Santa Fe Springs, Calif.-based Enhance Technology. Suitable for both SMB networks and a large corporate IT infrastructure, the device supports file sharing across Linux, Apple OS X, UNIX, and Windows clients, and allows remote access via FTP with encryption, says the company.
The NAS device is said to offer load balancing, fault tolerance, and advanced security features. The device can also synchronize to network directory services including ADS/PDC, NIS, and LDAP, says Enhance Technology.
(Click to enlarge)
Each system can also be expanded via an optional RS16 SS gateway for RAID protected data storage of up to 176TB. The RS16 SS gateway enables the connection of up to five 3U 16-bay "RS16 JS" rackmount storage devices as one single system "without compromising the data transfer performance," claims the company (see diagram below).
UltraShare NAS8000-P4 with RS16 SS gateway
Specifications listed for the UltraShare N8000-P4 include:
- Processors — Intel Xeon CPU (LGA1366 socket) @ 2.0GHz; Intel IOP348 I/O processor with SAS controller
- Memory — 3GB DDR3 memory
- 8 x SATA-II HDDs (2TB/1.5TB) for 12TB or 16TB
- Up to 176TB total via optional RS16 SS gateway
- Supports 3.5-inch SATA-II 72000 RPM or 3.5-inch SAS 15K RPM HDDs
- 1 x SATA Disc-On-Module (DOM)
- RAID 0, 1, 0+1, 3, 5, 50, 5S, 6, 60, 6S
- Hardware RAID 5 parity computation
- Multiple RAID array and volumes
- Global hot spares
- Networking host interface:
- 4 x gigabit Ethernet ports
- (NAS8000-TG version with 1 x 10GbE interface also available)
- SAS SFF8088 expansion port
- 2 x ports with dual failover
- iSCSI target capable
- Operating temperature — 50 to 95 deg. F (10 to 35 deg. C); 4 x high-speed internal cooling fans
- Power — Redundant, hot-swappable 380 W 80+ power supply; 90 ~ 264 VAC, 47Hz ~ 63Hz AC input
- Dimensions — 3.5 x 19.0 x 21.5 inches; 2U 19-inch rackmount
- Operating system — "Enterprise-class" Linux; supports Linux, Apple OS X, UNIX, and Windows clients
Enhance Technology appears to be shipping the UltraShare N8000-P4 in two models: the 12TB (via 1.5TB SATA HDDs) PR-F12T for $7,000, or the 16TB P4-F16T (via 2TB SATA HDDs) for $7,500. No pricing was offered on the NAS8000-TG version with a single 10GbE interface, or for the optional RS16 SS gateway system.
More information may be found on the company's website, here.
This article was originally published on LinuxDevices and has been donated to the open source community by QuinStreet Inc. Please visit LinuxToday.com for up-to-date news and articles about Linux and open source.