Synology America Corp. is shipping a four-bay network-attached storage (NAS) device, offering up to 8TB sharable RAID storage for home and small business users. The Linux-based DS410j is equipped with an 800MHz processor, a gigabit Ethernet port, two USB ports, and version 2.2 of Synology's DNLA-compliant Disk Station Manager software.
The DS410j appears to be the SOHO alternative to the DS409 (pictured at right) announced in June, which targets small to medium-sized (SMB) businesses. Although similarly equipped with four bays for up to 8TB, plus a gigabit Ethernet port and dual USB 2.0 ports, the DS410j is driven by an unnamed 800MHz processor while the DS409 runs a 1.2GHz Marvell 88F6281 "Kirkwood" system-on-chip, and offers twice the memory offered by the DS410j. The DS409 also provides a separate eSATA port not found on the newer model.
Earlier Synology models have used Freescale MPC8241 PowerQUICC III SoCs, or for the high-end models, the Marvell 5281 "Orion" SoCs based on the Feroceon architecture. All of Synology's NAS devices run on embedded Linux.
The DS410j is equipped with 128MB of 16-bit DDR RAM, and supports up to four 3.5-inch SATA II or 2.5-inch SATA or SSD (solid-state drive) storage drives, says Synology. Supported RAID configurations are said to include RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 5+Spare, and RAID 6.
Synology DS410J, front and back
The 9.1 x 6.6 x 7.2 inch device offers dual fans and has a noise level of 23dB(A), says Synology. Power consumption is claimed to be 42.9 Watts during use and 16 Watts while hibernating. The DS410j also offers a scheduled power on/off feature, said to both conserve power and extend hard drive life.
Synology DS410J, detail
Synology's Disk Station Manager 2.2
(Click to enlarge)
Specifications and features listed for the Synology DS410j include:
- Processor — 800MHz
- Memory — 128MB 16-bit DDR RAM
- Storage — up to 8TB via 4 x 3.5-inch SATA II or 2.5-inch SATA/SSD drives
- RAID support — JBOD, RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 5+Spare, RAID 6
- Networking — 1 x gigabit Ethernet port
- USB — 2 x USB 2.0 ports
- Networking protocols — CIFS, AFP (3.1), FTP, NFS, Telnet/SSH
- Major applications (Disk Station Manager 2.2):
- DLNA/UPnP Media Server
- Backup (network, local, desktop, Time Machine)
- Security (firewall, auto-block, FTP over SSL/TLS, encryption)
- Surveillance Station 3
- Photo Station 3
- File Station 2
- Audio Station
- Web Station
- Download Station 2
- iTunes Server
- iPhone applications (DS photo; DS audio)
- Noise level — 23dB(A)
- Power supply — 100V to 240V AC input; 50Hz to 60Hz, single-phase
- Power consumption — 42.9 W (access); 16 W (hibernation)
- Dimensions — 9.1 x 6.6 x 7.2 inches (230 x 168 x 184mm)
- Weight — 4.9 lbs (2.23 k)
- Operating temperature — 40 to 95 deg. F (5 to 35 deg. C)
- Operating system — Embedded Linux (supports Linux, Mac, Windows desktops)
The DS410j is available now in both diskless and pre-installed (2TB and 4TB) configurations in Canada, and in pre-installed versions in the U.S. Pricing was not listed. More information may be found here.
More information on Synology's Linux distribution may be found here.
This article was originally published on LinuxDevices and has been donated to the open source community by QuinStreet Inc. Please visit LinuxToday.com for up-to-date news and articles about Linux and open source.