Win Enterprises is shipping a 1U, Core2 Duo-based network appliance with eight Ethernet ports. The Linux-compatible PL-60760 targets firewalls, VPN gateways, IDS/IPS (intrusion detection and prevention systems), NAC (network access control) systems, and UTM (unified threat management) applications based on Linux and… other embedded OSes.
The PL-60760 is available as a 1U rackmount appliance, or as a bare board. It is based on an Intel 3100 Express chipset, and supports up to 4GB of DDRII memory.
The standard version comes with four GbE ports and four 10/100 Ethernet ports. Available options include SFP (Small Form-Factor Pluggable) and Copper ports, enabling LAN bypass for four ports from the front panel. (LAN bypass allows connected systems to continue to function in the event of a system hang or power down.) Customer modification services and customer-specific bezel designs are available when ordered in OEM quantities, says Win Systems.
Inside the PL-60760
(Click to enlarge)
The following are the specs listed for the PL-60760:
- Format — 1U rack-mount
- Processor — Intel Socket 479 Core 2 Duo/Core Duo processor with 667MHz FSB; Intel 3100 chipset; 512KB flash BIOS
- Memory — supports up to 4GB DDRII memory at 400MHz
- Flash — 1 x CompactFlash type I/II slot
- Storage — 1 x E-ATA connector; 2 x SATA connectors; 2.5- or 3.5-inch SATA mounting kit available
- PCI expansion — 1 x PCI-E golden edge finger supporting 2 x PCI-X expansion slots (via PCI-E x 4 to PCI-X riser card); 1 x MiniPCI slot
- Networking — 4 x gigabit Ethernet (Intel 82571EB PCI-E x 4) with optional LAN bypass with 4 x SFP; 4 x 10/100 Ethernet (Intel 82551QM x 4)
- USB — 1 x USB 2.0
- Serial — 1 x console port
- Interface — 1 x 16×2 LCM; 4-button keypad; LEDs
- Power supply — 200W ATX
- Dimensions — 17.3 x 16.7 x 1.7 inches (440 x 425 x 44 mm)
- Operating temperature — (32 ~ 104 degrees F (0 ~ 40 degrees C)
- Operating system — Linux: Fedora/8, Redhat Enterprise Linux 5, Cent OS 5; Windows: 2003, XP, Professional, Vista
The PL-60760 appliance is available now, says Win Systems. OEM pricing is $771 (or $806 with SFP option). The board-level MB-60730 version without the Core Duo costs $442. More information may be found here.
This article was originally published on LinuxDevices and has been donated to the open source community by QuinStreet Inc. Please visit LinuxToday.com for up-to-date news and articles about Linux and open source.