Toronto, Canada — (press release excerpt) — Softfield Technologies has announced the availability of a Linux PDA that is compatible with the discontinued Agenda VR3.
Since the demise of Agenda Computing, the VR3 is no longer available to the community. Now Softfield Technologies is making available the ST Vr3 that is fully compatible to the Agenda Computing VR3.
The ST Vr3 runs the Linux-VR OS and all the Agenda VR3 software. It has a 240×160 mono LCD screen with touch panel and is based on a 66MHz NEC VR4181 MIPS processor. It comes with a choice of 8M or 16M SDRAM, 16M of Flash, IrDA/RS232, and optional of Ethernet/USB connectivity. The price of the 8M version is US$105 and the 16M version is US$135.
Softfield Technologies is engaged in the business of making innovative computing products for Linux consumer and business applications. The company's R&D and factory are located in Hong Kong and China, and the world-wide Sales and Mktg, R&D, and Support/Service office is located just outside of Toronto, Canada.
A product review of the original Agenda VR3 by Jerry Epplin is available here and its device profile is here. Here is a summary of specifications of the Softfield Vr3 . . .
- 66MHz 32-bit NEC VR4181 MIPS
- 8MB or 16MB RAM
- 16MB built-in Flash storage (protects data from loss due to dead battery)
- 160 x 240 pixels monochrome LCD
- 16-level grey scale (simulates color graphics)
- 2 x 3 in. viewable area
- Backlit for dark viewing
- Digital contrast control
- Stylus activated power on/off
- Touch sensitive for stylus or fingertip operation
- 7 push buttons for actions
- 7 touch sensitive quick launch hard icons
- On-screen keyboard and external keyboard
- On-screen handwriting recognition input
- Built-in microphone jack
- Visual notification LED
- Audio notification buzzer
- 1 IrDA port, with slow speed mode for long range IR transfers
- 1 RS-232 port
- 1 high speed 1.6Mhz clocked serial port for external keyboard, mass storage, wireless, etc.
- Linux-based Linux-VR operating system
- Applications: Contacts, To do, Schedule, Notes, Calculator, QuickSync, Email, Network, Terminal, Games, Bootloader, Utilities
- CD-ROM Software
- QuickSync for Linux and Windows PC
- 2 AAA batteries
- Size: 4.5 x 3.0 x 0.8 in.
- Weight: 4 oz (without batteries)
- Standard: Battery, Stylus, Cradle
- Optional: 33.3Kb/s external modem, RS-232 serial cable, external keyboard, audio microphone/ speaker set
This article was originally published on LinuxDevices and has been donated to the open source community by QuinStreet Inc. Please visit LinuxToday.com for up-to-date news and articles about Linux and open source.